Thursday, February 9, 2012

Why I Love My Shrek


      Yesterday, on the way to taking him to work (because I needed the truck, Yuck), Shrek not only got me a Starbucks coffee, he got me a surprise – a brownie. He said “Last night you said you wanted a heart with chocolate (boxed heart, valentines day), so I figured I'd get you a brownie as a stop gap before next week”. He's so awkwardly cute! I Love him!



      Yes, I call my hubby Shrek. Why? Well if you've been around him a while, you'd get the picture, but here goes...He's big and strong. There are times when he gives me a hug and literally he takes my breath away because he hugs too hard (he says he was barely squeezing). He doesn't know his own strength, as several of my children can attest to: I think it was #2, when she was 4 or so, she had a rope tied onto a Big Wheel. He would hold the end and she would ride as fast as she could and just as she was coming to the end of the rope, he would “tug” on it – needless to say it didn't take long for her to flip over. Then there was the time at Santa Land, in the playground is a “swinging gate”.   He swung and swung #1 and the next thing I know, she's holding on to the top of the gate and her feet are in the air! And of course, we can't forget about the time he was throwing the kids into the pool, and by the time he got to #5, she was the lightest, and ooooppppsss...she almost made it completely to the other side of the pool.

      All in fun, and he reminds me that's why I married him, because he brought fun back into my life, and he did. You know the saying “You end up not liking them for the same reason you fell in love with them”. So now, I take my mind back to the days (when things were more simple) and remember why I fell in love with him, and I am falling in love with him all over again.

      Now back to the “Shrek” Thing: In the first Shrek, when Shrek and Fiona were walking in the field and she bumped into him, and he bumped back...but a little too hard; I know there's more examples in all of the Shrek movies, but I can't remember them due to the FibroFog. Anyways, he's just a big ole' “ogre”. He can look big and tough, but he's the sweetest man around and he can just be very silly. He says things just like Shrek “Better out than in I always say”. He's still doing the fart jokes and silly sayings like “up your but and around the corner”; where did that one come from anyway? And singing with grandchild 2A “I'm gonna party with my friend Marty, who likes to farty”.... the kids love it; I roll my eyes.

      When it all comes down to it he just reminds me of Shrek; the big ole' Ogre, who once you get to know is a very kind-hearted person who loves more deeply than he shows. I, of course, am his Fiona. When he calls me, a picture of Shrek comes up and the ring tone is “Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer”. He has a picture of Fiona for me when I call; I can't remember my ring tone. Now the grand kids call him Papa Shrek – LOL. Gotta love it and HIM! That's why I married him twice. This picture of Shrek and Fiona was  colored by a teen friend of ours and given to us in a frame when we renewed our vows in the church. I LOVE it!



P.S. This morning as he left for work, he put my “cow blankie” over me. It is a blanket my best friend (yes, at 50 I have a best friend!) made me. The “cow” part is a long standing joke, but....that's another story.

No comments: