Monday, December 19, 2011

The Christmas Shoes – Based on a book and song by Robert Layton

Chick Flick ~ Life Lessons
First off, let me tell you that I went to the mylifetime.com website to get some information on who wrote it, directed it, etc. The first thing I read was:

Genre: Romance, Tearjerker

Oh, did I already say Tearjerker? Holy Cow! I wanted to SOL – Sob Out Loud, but I was with my older two daughters, Angie and Beckie, and did not want to sound hysterical. I think Beckie actually shed a few tears on this one. (Love you Beckie!). The Second thing is that there are many recent comments from viewers in outrage that Lifetime is not airing this movie in the next 6 weeks, because it carries a positive message.

Aside from that, it is an incredible movie that delicately twists so many important messages together. I am not going to tell you about the story line, I'm only going to share the messages I got out of watching the movie. And, quite honestly, if you read the “description” on mylifetime.com, it really doesn't give you the real essence of the movie. This is a triple thumbs up! (me, Angie, and Beckie).

  • Oh what a tangled web we weave ~ we interact with people on a daily basis and most of us have no idea what role we may play in that persons life. A simple smile can be the best thing that happens to that elderly woman you pass on the sidewalk. I have told my kids, since they were school age, that everyone deserves a smile and a hello, even hold the door for someone. It doesn't matter if the person, or “kid”, is a troublemaker, considered unpopular, doing drugs, or is a bully. You don't have to hang out with them or be friends, but they deserve to get a smile; it could be the best thing that happened to them that day or in their life.
  • Paradigm shifts ~ You never know what is going on in the other person's life. The best example of this is a short story I read, I think in a Chicken Soup for the Soul book (and I've taken some artistic license with this, because I cannot remember all the details, but you'll get the gist of it). A father is on a train with his 4 children. The children are running around, making a lot of noise, and the dad is totally oblivious to them, and does not make any attempt to reign them in. A passenger asks the man if they are his children. He says yes, they are; we just left the hospital, their mom just past away. Always remember you don't know what is going on in another person's life.
  • A quote from the movie ~ a mother's words of wisdom to her son: “Don't just make money; make memories”. Need I say more? As those of us with fibromyalgia (and other chronic illnesses) know, life is all about Living in the Moment. Please don't just read the words and say “yeah, it is”. Think about it; try it. In the world of Hustle and Bustle, Living in the Moment is harder than we think. Try it, put down that phone, the remote control, the spoon you're stirring dinner with and be fully in the moment when a loved one is talking to you. While you're taking a walk, put away the phone! Breathe the air, don't think about your troubles, look at the beauty that surrounds you and soulfully take it in, the fullness of it all. It is the most wonderful experience when you start Living in Moments, and start making memories.
It has been a long time coming that me and my oldest two children sat together and watched a movie, and the time we spent together will be a memory, for us,  forever. We're talking about watching the sequel to the movie, but we're gonna wait till after the holidays. Merry Christmas Blessings to All!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this! ~ Donna