Thursday, April 26, 2012

What Did You Do In School today? ~ Nothing....


I am sure every parent on this planet has heard that! It used to frustrate me so much, especially since I have 5 lovely children (ahem), I heard it from all 5. On a cue from some parenting tip to ask specific questions to children to get a “real answer”, I came up with this idea.


At the dinner table, each person, parents and guests included, would be asked:

What was the best thing that happened to you today?
What was the worst thing that happened to you today?
What was the funniest thing that happened to you today?

My babies with their pappa (now 25, 23, 19, 18, 16)
After the person finished answering those questions, the person next to them would be asked the same questions. You had to answer it, it didn't matter what the answer was; what was important was that you participated. Sometimes, the answer to “What was the worst thing...” would be “I had to go to school”, and that was ok. There were no wrong answers, but each question had to be answered.



It was amazing what these questions inspired in our family.

  1. They complained about having to do it! (But I could tell they enjoyed it)
  2. We learned a little bit about what each of us was going through.
  3. Conversation was sparked when others asked questions or offered support or ideas.
  4. Ending on the Funniest thing, we were all able to laugh together.
  5. As a parent, I got answers to that age old question “What did you do today?”

No comments: